Sunday, February 20, 2011

The King of Limbs -- first listen (w/ Phillips TR 55LX headphones)

** FIRST TRACK: did not use headphones...maybe update later**

"Bloom" Track 01: Spacey vocals, simple drum beat looping, layers -- but not super multi-faceted. Towards the end, similar to Hail to the Thief....

Overall, enjoyable but not mind-blowing


"Morning Mr. Magpie" Track 02: I remember the title of this song as lyrics from a live studio shot from the Hail to the Thief DVD...let's see where this goes...ok DEFINITELY the same lyrics and somewhat of the same melody...but put to this very...fast guitar track. Still love Thom's voice, no matter what it's put to. I like Radiohead's attempt at depth and layering, but so far I feel this is a bit muddled. I really like the chorus on this song -- almost identical to the first time I heard it on the Hail to the Thief DVD. From 3:00 to 4:00 the song just builds and builds and really intensifies. Good intense headbanging happening on this end to the groove up at 4:00.

Overall, good, impressive...but not for Radiohead.


"Little by Little" Track 03: The beginning is EXTREMELY muddled right away. Leaves the listener confused and wading thru many different syncopated rhythms. This song will definitely take me MANY more listens to enjoy it and understand it. (turned it down around 1:20...) by 1:55 I'm more used to the conflictions happening....

Overall, by the end of this song I was wanting to give it a second listen because I was enjoying it and couldn't remember why I was so turned off at the beginning. Second listen will have to wait....


"Feral" Track 04: Well seeing as I'm REALLY into dancing right now...I immediately liked this song upon it starting. It's a fast, sexy beat...Thom's singing is very breathy and unintelligable most of the time. The beat is great and danceable and the layers combine WELL :)

Overall, LOVED IT. can't wait to give it a second listen


"Lotus Flower" Track 05: Drum beat sounds like Hail to the Thief right away to me. Instrumental up til 1:10....Lyrics sound very familiar -- maybe from another track off the HttT DVD...I like the use of the clap. This is one of the first times I haven't been swooning over the sound of Thom's voice...I think the chorus is a little too high in his register for me...

Overall, this is a fine track...the clap really keeps me interested....but it's not amazing. Without Thom singing on this track I like it so much more, gotta say.


"Codex" Track 06: Backwards vocals immediately? ftw. ha. Typical Thom Yorke ballad. Can't tell around 3:50 if that is a string instrument (cello?) or a real low vocal track....but i like it.

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of ballads...but this is fine and has some weird things happening in it.


"Give up the Ghost" Track 07: "don't hurt me" all spacey and whatnot is how the beginning starts...this is once again VERY familiar....is this from HttT DVD or from a live performance or b-side? I don't like this. The overlay of "don't hurt me" constantly just sounds like a cheesy celebrity joint song to raise money for some devastating problem...It's weird because it's so familiar...like I've heard this before and then it's changed to be "new and improved!"

Overall, no. this does not work for me. kinda makes me slightly ill. Only thing redeeming is the glitching in the end.


"Separator" Track 08: Jake told me this was his favorite track....let's give 'er a go! The layers mix well in this one, instead of distracting from eachother. After hearing this last track, I realize that backwards and reverbed vocals are PREDOMINANT on this album. This album starts to get a bit fresh with the guitar line on this....I want to see where THAT is going...STOP REVERBING THOM ON TOP OF EVERYTHING....I still just want to hear something else going with that guitar part...and the vocals here at like 4:20 I'm enjoying with the drumming.

Overall, i'm sick of reverberation after that. *shakes body like a dog*

No comments:

Post a Comment